Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Daylight Robbery at the Waterfront should mean you get shipped off to Robben Island (Sat 06/20)

         

The weekend has finally arrived! The work week did take a nice turn in the end, but it’s always nice to have a change. On the schedule for today was Robben Island, the prison island which held Nelson Mandela and other political threats to the apartheid government during its active time. Getting to the prison involves a drive down to the waterfront of Cape Town. It was my first time down there, so I was excited to have time to get to explore what I had heard to be a beautiful area after our tour. Once the whole group arrived via Bill’s carpooling and shuffling, we hopped on to a short fairy ride out to the island. Had the island not been a former present, it could have been oddly appealing. When the ferry pulls into the mini-harbor on the island, you can see all these black birds sitting on the rocks, outlined in the horizon.

Touring the island involves riding a bus around the different holding facilities of the island. Come to find out that the island was not only used to hold political prisoners, but also convicts, felons, and diseased people who were basically isolated from their communities because they were sick. It’s crazy how humane treatment changes in so few years. The most interesting part of the island tour was the description of a cave in the area where the prisoners used to mine limestone as part of their labor. The prisoners were forbidden from talking during their work. The sun was shining so hard onto the limestone that its reflection back onto the men’s eyes caused their eyes permanent damage. What was interesting about the cave was that while the guards only allowed the men to eat and relieve themselves in it (yeah, disgusting that both those things happened in the same place), the prisoners were actually teaching one another literacy. The cave became known as The University. Some illiterate guards who discovered what was happening in the cave began to partake in the teachings, as well. There is now a pile of rocks, the first laid by Nelson Mandela himself, in front of the cave in the limestone quarry to serve as memories for their time there.

On the bus part of the island tour, we also saw some of the wildlife such as penguins, springbok, rabbits, and one of the three ostriches on the island.  Just thought I’d throw in that little tid bit of excitement. At least I found it exciting…

 

The second part of the tour involved walking around the main prison complex. I think one of the most amazing aspects of this prison was the community that was formed among the inmates. Sometimes, the community would even involve relationships between the inmates and the prison guards. The smuggling of documents and other forms of information in places like shoes is so cool to me! (Please, don’t judge my lack of intellectual writing right now.) Not that I’d ever want to end up in a position like these men were in, but if I ever do, I hope that I’m as creative as they were in keeping up communication with the outside world’s activities. I mean, some of the prisoners were only allowed a visit by their families once every six months. Can you imagine? I feel horrible when I haven’t talked to my mommy and daddy for a day. We also saw Mandela’s cell, and took some pretty awesome group pictures in another one. Again, not that I’d ever actually want or expect to end up in one.

After the island tour, we rode the ferry back to the waterfront to grab some lunch and maybe do some shopping before heading back to the B&B. Fail, on both accounts. On the first account: I am really sick of eating at restaurants. Like really sick. I can’t look at menus anymore. The pub that we chose to eat at had birds crapping all over the tables outside, but even when we moved inside the menu wasn’t too appealing, probably something to do with the fact that the pages were sticking together. I ordered a hot chocolate and then went off to explore while the rest of the group finished their food. That was also a fail. Everything was extremely overpriced at the waterfront. The area is super nice and chill to hang out in, but I’m not trying to pay full price for a souvenir that I can bargain down to half-price for at the market down the street from work. Tourist traps to the max. It was neat to see almost everyone dressed up in the rugby attire though. Springboks vs. Lions. We decided to support Springboks since they are the main animal of SA, despite the fact that I know zero about rugby.

Today I decided I like being a traveling student better than a traveling American tourist. It’s a lot cheaper, and more fulfilling to buy something you’ve argued down to a reasonable price in a fun but intentional way.

Ukuthula,

Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment